Imaginary Date

 

If you want me, all you have to do is take me to a plant nursery in the springtime. That's all it takes. The rich, spicy scent of good soil, cedar mulch warmed by the sun, citrus blossoms, wisteria, lavender, and rosemary. Everything about it is perfectly intoxicating. 

I went to one of my favorite nurseries Saturday morning to get "a few things", and I could feel you near me as I was walking across the parking lot. We walked in together past the pottery, the succulents, the crowd-pleaser nursery flowers that they always put near front. I couldn't help but smile because you might surprise me and know some of their names. I walk past them and largely ignore them, but you are familiar with some of them. I love how we see these things through different eyes. I went toward the vegetables and herbs looking for chamomile, because I've learned that you shouldn't have just one if you want enough for tea. After searching for only a few minutes I began to feel weak in the knees - overwhelmed by the possibilities, the scents, the sounds, just the magic of the place. You would have advised me to get a cart, so I went and got one. 

If I am going to get a cart I may as well get some more soil. It's more expensive here, but god, it smells amazing, rich and spicy, and it is supporting a family business, right? I wanted to lie down on the pallet of soil and fall into a deep sleep. I wanted to live in a world where you could fall asleep beside me in the gentle sunshine and the scent of the moist soil, and the sites and sounds around us would fade. I put 2 bags on the cart, and a small bag of cactus soil. I went back to the herbs and found the chamomile, then loaded the cart with squash, tomatoes, and cucumbers. More than I had room for, but you would have just smiled and said "I'll hold that for you. Get another one." 

The citrus was in full bloom and that deep, sweet scent hung thick in the air. Maybe you would have pulled me behind a tree or around a corner and kissed me hard, like you did on the trail that one day last summer. 

By the time I left I was absolutely dizzy and overwhelmed. Your presence was still strong, but I wished I could rest my head on your shoulder and steady myself against you. 

We'll have to go again sometime. 

Comments

Popular Posts